Tuesday, January 20, 2015

To All The Boys I've Loved Before...



In my hopes of becoming a "well-read" and "intelligent" young woman, one of my New Year's resolutions was to read a book per month or try to finish at least 12 books this year (gives me a little bit of flexibility). But because I am a cheap college student, I don't usually buy books but borrow them through my local library's fabulous e-book lending service. I've been on the waiting list for "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" for almost a month now, so when I finally got it I immediately started to read it and have now finished it over the weekend... And I thought I couldn't even do a book per month. Hah! take that New Year's Rez!

This post is not much of a review than a declaration of love. I love you book~

The Cover
Let's start with the cover. Being a book-cover-obsessed-designer-wannabe, I have to say what first drew me to this book was the beautiful cover. The model they chose is so perfect in depicting what Lara Jean looks like. Her room looks like something out of a tasteful Swedish teen interior design magazine and her outfit and headband beautifully displays her innocent soul (ok that was a little cheesy).

I also love! love! how the typography is displayed in sharpie-like cursive font. Everything about the cover is amazing. I'm thinking about purchasing the book in hardcover just because I love the cover so much! It'll make a great display piece on a coffee table or something don't you think?

The Story
Finally the story! I didn't read a synopsis because come on...what summary do you need when the cover is that amazing and it's called "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"? (When it comes to actual books the term "Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover" is a total lie...as Seth Godin said "if covers didn't matter you could just email people the text"

However, I didn't expect the story to be an Americanized version of a Love-Contract themed Korean Drama whereGirlneeds GuytodiscourageotherguybutactuallyinlovewithotherguyandGuyneedsGirltoosotheymakeacontracttopretenddateandthenendupfallinginloveforealz . Jenny Han is a genius! Since this theme has worked so well in all the best Korean Dramas (Goong, Full House etc.) it should work just as well as a novel! Especially for people like me who are trying to watch less dramas and read more books, what a better solution than to just turn a drama into a book. Why didn't anybody else think of that?

I think the story depicts a family I wish I had (minus the dead mom part because nobody wants that). I wish I had sisters like Lara Jean who I could take care of or who would take care of me and we would tell each other everything! But in reality I am an only child. I wish I had a hot next door neighbor that would give me rides and come over to hang out. But in reality I don't have a neighbor...I think they abandoned their house? I wish I was still in high school but I'm an old lady about to join the workforce...yipeee

But I did feel like I had a lot in common with Lara Jean. Like baking...I think I could be good at baking if I actually tried (who am I kidding last night I tried to make chocolate chip cookies and they turned into these crispy sheets that tasted like salty butter). Well, I would like to be good at baking. She's afraid of driving, I'm afraid of driving. Everything she said about how scary driving was I was screaming "YESSS YESS!" She's Asianish...I'm Asian...

Jokes aside, I really do feel like a real life Lara Jean, personality wise. I'm scared of a bajillion things and I've also only experienced one-sided loves. I'm miss goody two shoes and like staying at home more than going out. If Lara Jean were real, we would be BFFs...

She's inspired me to write letters to my past one-sided loves so that maybe one day they will get sent out and then I'll have a love-contract themed happening. A girl can dream

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it's a good feeling to have finished it within a couple of days. I can't remember the last time I did that. If you haven't read this book I highly recommend it! And if any of my friends are reading this and would like to get something for my birthday *wink wink* you know what to get me.





P.S I knew it from the beginning it was Kitty who sent those letters



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.